Wondering How Many Holes in An Outdoor Pickleball? Discover the answer to this frequently asked question and gain insights into the design of outdoor pickleballs. Learn about the importance of hole patterns for the best performance on the court
The pickleball will have around 26 to 40 circular holes. The holes that the outdoor ball has will be slighter and larger compared to the indoor ball. The outdoor ones will have 40 holes while the indoor ones have 26. A few of the balls from different brands will have 32 holes. When it comes to the indoor pickleballs, which have 26 holes are softer compared to the outdoor balls with larger holes. It is easier to have control over the game and make the balls last longer. These are also designed to be used for playing in the outdoor court.
Check also: What Type of Ball Is Used in Pickleball?
How many Holes in an Outdoor Pickleball?
However, you can only use the pickleballs that are approved to be used in the tournament, i.e., USAPA-approved. A few points about the indoor pickleball include:
- The indoor pickleball will not skid easily on the polished wooden surface, especially when you are using this in indoor play.
- Should be visible on the wooden surface or other indoor areas
- Easier to impart spins and these can also be used to play outdoors
- Indoor pickleball does not crack easily and has soft spots
Outdoor pickleballs will have around 40 holes. However, the holes on this ball are smaller compared to the holes on the indoor balls. Serious pickleball players will love to use outdoor balls as they go at a high speed and need good skills to hit precise shots.
A few things you need to know about the outdoor pickleball are:
- Balls are perfect for outdoor play and have enough weight to add stability while playing in breezy conditions
- Outdoor pickleballs are welded precisely and offer maximum durability. These are also resistant to cracks and can withstand extreme wear and tear longer. The precisely drilled holes in the ball would ensure accurate flight.
- Balls are made of polyurethane resin and hard plastic. These are highly resilient compared to polyester resin. The balls are also expensive.
- Rotation molding will make the balls long-lasting. The ball is an item that reduces seam protrusion. The ball will be made by the two-piece injection process.
The 32-hole ball is perfect to be used outdoors over the standard 40-hole pickleball. The best thing about this ball is that it gives a great bounce does not wobble when in the air and offers high durability. When there are only a few holes in the ball, it assures you of better bounce and flight. The testing has been performed on the ball and found that the ball with 32 holes is allowing the players to hit the shots accurately. The balls have a rough finish and are not prone to deformation. With the coarser surface, the balls impart a lot of spin.
These are ideal to be used in USAPA tournaments and the pack of 40 balls would cost around $20 to $25. Based on the pickleball rule specifications:
- Material – Smooth molded material and is in uniform color
- Diameter – 2.87 and 2.97 inches
- Variance – Not beyond +/- 0.02 inches
- Weight – Minimum is 0.78 and the maximum is 0.935 inches
- Bounce – Over 30 to 34 inches when is dropped it goes to 78 inches.
- Hardness – 40 to 50 on the Durometer D scale
- Holes – Between 20 to 40 that are circular